The La Plata Family Center is seeking a full-time Fatherhood Advocate to provide education, supportive service and in-person and virtual assistance for men who provide care to children and/or youth. Advocate delivers Nurturing Parents Curriculum, both individually and in group settings, conducts various screenings, completes home visits and coordinates services and supports for men. Advocate works within the community to ensure that varied groups of underrepresented men have access to resources. Rate of pay based on experience, EOE. Must be able to pass background check.
General Social Worker Responsibilities:
- Assisting clients in receiving services by telephone and in person.
- Getting clients involved in beneficial activities.
- Assessing clients and gathering relevant information.
- Offering information and supporting clients and their families.
- Contacting and making referrals to other agencies and services.
- Maintaining accurate records and preparing reports.
- Participating in training, supervision, and meetings.
- Watch for signs of child abuse.
- Provide crisis intervention.
General Social Worker Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, and/or Parenting experience.
- Experience working with clients that are affected by issues including neglect, child abuse, domestic violence, mental health, and parental substance abuse.
- Ability to give full attention to what social service clients are saying, understand the points being made, ask questions, and not interrupt inappropriately.
- Awareness of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Ability to judge the relative costs and benefits of potential social service and choose the most appropriate one.
- Comfortable using a computer for various tasks.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to stay calm and empathize with clients when they are upset.
- Able to develop a treatment plan.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention.
- Valid driver’s license.